(Posted Sunday at 8:30 p.m.)
Earlier today, St. Charles County Executive Steve Ehlmann declared a State of Emergency for St. Charles County. The declaration was issued due to projections of river/creek/stream flooding, widespread impact on roads and transportation, the level of emergency response provided and required to assist residents, and the additional rainfall which could prolong conditions and cause additional flooding. A State of Emergency means the situation is serious and widespread due to recent and ongoing weather conditions; there is a hazard and potential hazard to citizens and property; local emergency response organizations are operating in enhanced mode to meet the needs of the situation and the citizens; and emergency responders and emergency management are heavily engaged/tasked.
The following roads are expected to be closed through Monday morning:
- I-70 Eastbound between Bryan Road and Mid Rivers Mall Drive, and I-70 Westbound between Route 94 and Route 79.
- On-ramps at I-370 Westbound at I-70; in addition, at Route 141, traffic on I-370 is being diverted onto Route 141 to go onto I-64/40 or Route 364
- Salt River Road between Hwy 79 and Main Street in St. Peters
- Mexico Road at Church Street in St. Peters
Alternate routes include I-64/40, Route 364, Route K and Mid Rivers Mall Drive. Per MoDOT for I-70 detours: Westbound I-70 detour is Route 94 to I-64 to I-70. Eastbound I-70 is closed in St Charles County near Route 79 due to flooding of Dardenne Creek. Use Eastbound I-70 to Eastbound I-64 to Eastbound Route 364 as an alternate.
Additional road closures as of this afternoon include:
- Route 94 North – at Harbor Point, West Alton
- Route 94 South – at Defiance
- Route B – at Kampville, between Seeburger and Hayford, between New Town Rd. and Route 94
- Route C – North of St. Peters
- Route D – Closed east of Route DD
- Route H – Between Route 94 and Portage des Sioux
- Route N – Closed at Cottleville between Route K and Weiss Rd.
- Route P between Hyland Green and Route M
- Mette Rd. at the County Line
- Sioux Dr. – PDS
- Washeon Rd.
- Wilson Rd.
- Hawning Rd. – St. Charles
- Fox Hill Rd. – St. Charles
Please note: due to the rapidly changing flooding situation, the St. Charles County Police Division of Emergency Management advises residents to be extremely careful on all roads throughout the county as this list above is not all-inclusive.
The Division of Emergency Management advises residents to avoid travel, if possible, and to be extremely cautious if travel is required. Drivers should not drive through water-covered roads and flooded areas. Many roads across the county are closed or water-covered due to flooding. Impact on the area has been widespread and tonight’s additional rain could still pose a hazard.
Voluntary evacuation is ongoing in West Alton.
At this time, the Division of Emergency Management has no reports of injuries or fatalities.
The Division of Emergency Management will continue monitoring the situation.
For flood warning information and updates, visit: http://www.weather.gov/lsx.
For flood safety info and tips, visit: http://www.sccmo.org/765/Flood.
For MoDOT Traveler information for state roads, routes and highways, visit: http://traveler.modot.org/map/.