Learn emergency and disaster preparedness skills, free at the O’Fallon Police Department’s Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program on September 22, 23 and 24.
The course is designed for individuals, couples, neighborhood association members, faith-based groups, businesses and employees, law enforcement candidates and those with medical training.
The course includes hands-on training in these topics, and more:
- Assembling a disaster preparedness kit for home and car
- Hands-on basic head-to-toe medical assessment, simple triage and rapid treatment techniques for airway obstruction, bleeding, shock, and basic first aid for injuries, burns, etc.
- Learning when and how to shut off utilities at home
- Working as a team to safely to conduct triage, light search and rescue, sizing up and extinguishing small fires, maintaining rescuer safety
- Communicating effectively with public safety organizations during a disaster
“We’re seeing major disasters strike communities due to extreme weather,” said O’Fallon Police Officer Patrick Helton, who is leading the training. “When that happens, so many people need help that first responders can be overwhelmed in responding to calls. That’s why CERT training is so important, to learn how to take care of yourself and your family until professional help arrives. But even more than that, groups of all kinds can benefit from taking the training, especially neighbors and co-workers and adult family members, because it teaches how to work together safely in the event of a tornado, earthquake or other disaster.”
The CERT course will be held from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday, September 22, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, September 23 and 24, in the Streets Division Building at 1089 Public Service Drive, O’Fallon MO 63366. Participants do not have to be O’Fallon residents. Graduates will receive training materials to take home and have opportunities to practice their skills at free monthly training and exercises with EMTs and other experts.
For FAQS, course details, videos of CERT teams in training and applications for the September 2017 session, visit www.ofallon.mo.us/PD/cert. For additional questions contact Officer Helton at email@example.com or 636-379-3816.