The St. Charles County Department of Public Health monitors more than 1,300 food service providers in St. Charles County. (The City of St. Peters conducts its own inspections.) Routine inspections are conducted by specialists with the department for proper food safety procedures and are scored by deducting points from a starting score of 100.
The following acronyms are used in violation information: PHF (Potentially Hazardous Food), TCS (Time/Temperature Control for Safety), FCS (Food-contact Surface), NFC (Non-food contact surface), RTE (Read to Eat).
The following scores were posted during the week of January 9 – 15, 2019.
- Steak N Shake, 1134 West Pearce Boulevard – score 78
Hot water temp at shake prep / drive thru area mid 62F. Hot water temp at men’s restroom sink right (facing) is 57F and men’s room left (facing) is 56F. Hot water temp to be restored to at least 100F. These hand sinks are not to be used as hand washing until repairs are made.
Dirty FCSs 5(pnt) – In use utensils to be washed, rinsed and sanitized if contaminated in use. Equipment and dispensers to be cleaned when soiled if at risk of contaminating food for service.
Observed drain flies in rear areas. Pests are to be eliminated and all standing water is to be removed.
Leaking plumbing or plumbing in disrepair 5, 2(pnt) – Observed leak at 3 comp sink in dish area. Observed standing water in mop drain and 2 containers of water from resolved leaks in dish area. Sewage is to be conveyed per code and not allowed to stand.
Discussed Ice build up in freezer. General cleaning of facility surfaces, Storage of chemicals and personal items, RTE foods to be date marked and disposed of after no more than 7 days.
- Steak N Shake, 1134 West Pearce Boulevard – follow up, in compliance
- China Buffet, 1126 West Pearce Boulevard Ste. 124 – score 100
- Pezzimenti’s Cafe, 1798 Mall Parkway – score 100
- Ruby Tuesday, 1218 West Pearce Boulevard – score 100
- Youth In Need Head Start, 1200 Continental Drive – score 100
- Ramada Hotel, 900 Corporate Parkway – score 100
Lake Saint Louis
- Taco Bell, 901 Robert Raymond Drive – score 100
- Sushi Sen, 161 Civic Center Drive – score 96
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt)
Observed torn gasket on the stand up walk in cooler.
Three-compartment sink required for manual warewashing 5, 2(pnt)
Observed no chemical sanitizer feeding through the mechanical dishwasher, therefore three compartment sink required for manual washing.
- Walmart bakery, grocery, 6100 Ronald Reagan Drive – both scored 100
- Walmart deli, 6100 Ronald Reagan DRive – score 95
No towels or dryer at sink 5(pnt) – Observed no disposable paper towels provided at the hand sink located next to the grill area.
Previous violation of flies in dishwash area has been corrected.
- St. Louis Bread Company, 1300 Highway K – score 100
- Starbucks Coffee, 100 Laura K Drive – score 98
- Wicked Greenz, 4015 Highway K – score 96
Observed no Certified Food Protection Manager on site during the inspection. Risk-based 2 facility: ALL MANAGER(S) shall have attended the Departments Basic Food Safety Certification (or pre-approved, department certified substitution). A nationally recognized certification for food safety can substitute for the Basic Food Safety Certification.
In-use serving utensils not stored properly 2(pnt) – Observed ice scoop stored improperly in the ice machine located next to the walk in cooler.
- Heavy Smoke BBQ, 508 Chatham Drive – score 100
- No. 1 Chinese Restaurant, 39 O’Fallon Square – score 77
No soap at sink 5(pnt) – Observed no hand soap provided at the hand sink.
PHF?s not held at 41 degrees or below 5(pnt) – Observed eggs in a aluminum can container at a temperature of 66F. These should be kept at a temperature of 41F or below.
Ready to eat PHFs not dated 5(pnt) – Observed no date label or markings on ready to eat food items in the walk in cooler.
Improper thawing 2(pnt) – Observed beef in a large container thawing in room temperature.
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed torn gasket on the stand up walk in cooler.
Vent hood dirty 2(pnt) – Observed excessive grease on the vent hoods in the kitchen. According to label, last cleaning was performed on 8/24/2018.
Damaged floor tiles, holes in walls, missing ceiling tiles 2(pnt) – Observed hand sink with deteriorating caulking.
Previous violations corrected from last inspection including gaskets replaced on reach in coolers and no food observed stored on the ground.
- Circle K, 1750 O’Fallon Road – score 100
- Waffle House, 106 West Terra Lane – score 96
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed torn and poorly maintained gaskets on majority of the reach in coolers in the kitchen.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt)
1. Observed dark residue/build-up inside of the inner/upper portion of the ice machine. Ice machine should be cleaned regularly.
2. Observed sticky food residue on shelving containing clean plates. Shelving should be wiped down regularly to avoid build-up.
Previous violations have been corrected including no drain flies observed during the inspection, floors in the dish wash area and under reach in coolers have been cleaned, and ice scoops are stored properly in-between use.
- Fastlane Convenience Store, 1322 North Main Street – score 100
- Destination Desserts, 11786 Westline Industrial Drive – score 100
- JJ Twigs Pizza & Pub, 1090 Tom Ginnever Avenue – score 94
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed dirty, poorly maintained and torn gaskets on reach in coolers and reach in freezers in the kitchen.
Improper wash water temperature 5(pnt) – Observed no sanitizer feeding through the mechanical dishwasher at the bar.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed dark build up on the inner/upper portion of the ice machine. This should be cleaned regularly.
- Walnut Grill, 4401 Highway K – score 89
Handwashing Sinks, installation – Observed missing handwash sink in the dishwashing area.
Ready to eat PHFs not dated 5(pnt) – Observed dressings past the 7 days observed in the walk-in cooler.
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt)
1.Observed torn gaskets on multiple coolers and walk-in.
2.Observed ice build-up in walk-in freezer.
Damaged floor tiles, holes in walls, missing ceiling tiles 2(pnt) – Observed damaged floors in kitchen and base cove under dish machine.
- McDonald’s, 2915 Highway K – score 100
- McDonald’s, 4001 Crusher Drive – score 96
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed gasket damaged on 2 door upright reach in freezer.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed debris accumulation on ice chute. Observed debris accumulation on insides of reach in coolers. Observed debris accumulation around ice maker.
- McDonald’s, 2144 West Terra Lane – score 96
Observed accumulation of standing water and debris under fry station and cooking line. Observed debris in gaskets. Observed debris on ground in dry storage area and surrounding towel washer.
Insufficient lighting 2(pnt) – Light intensity insufficient near ice cream machine and front counter.
- Circle K, 1525 Caulks Hill Road – score 100
- Show Me’s, 2795 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 93
No towels or dryer at sink 5(pnt) – OBSERVED NO PAPER TOWELS AT HANDSINK IN THE KITCHEN AND BY THE DISHWASHER
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – OBSERVED DRY STORAGE CONTAINERS SOILED. OBSERVED HANDSINK BASIN SOILED BY DISHWASHER. OBSERVED 3 COMPARTMENT SINK SOILED. OBSERVED REACH IN COOLER SHELVING SOILED
- Buffalo Wild Wings, 1465 Bass Pro Drive – score 98
- Composition, 323 North Main Street – score 100
- Subway at Walmart, 2897 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 100
- Waffle House, 301 Little Hills Industrial Boulevard – follow up, in compliance
- Llywelyn’s Pub, 100 North Main Street – follow up
PHF?s not held at 41 degrees or below 5(pnt) – Found cooked chicken, diced ham, and shredded cheese at temperatures above 41F on make table.
Found dishmachine corrected, but maketable still not holding foods at correct temperature.
- Blues Fired Pizza, 1417 Marshall Road – score 100
- Chinese Express, 1610 Country Club Plaza Drive – score 94
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed food debris accumulation on sides of fryers and wok line (where two meet). Observed debris accumulation on shelving in walk in cooler and shelving of cold holding units. Observed debris on bottoms of cold holding units.
Clean areas at an increased frequency.
Observed food debris accumulation on floors and in corners. Observed accumulation surrounding fryers and under wok line. Observed accumulation under prep tables. Clean areas at increased frequency.
Insufficient lighting 2(pnt) – Found ballast with no working light. Insufficient light intensity in kitchen.
- Massa’s Italian Grill, 3761 New Town Boulevard – score 90
Manager unable to produce valid food safety certification.
Dirty FCSs 5(pnt) – Sanitizer to be available at cooks line to clean prep surfaces. Dishes to be stored clean.
Ready to eat PHFs not dated 5(pnt) – All ready to eat and potentially hazardous foods to be marked with date prepared and disposed of no more than 7 days after prepared.
- China House Buffet, 1325 Bass Pro Drive – score 94
OBSERVED CANS OPENED AND FOOD ITEMS NOT REMOVED AND RELOCATED TO FOOD GRADE STORAGE CONTAINERS. FOODS REMOVED TO APPROPRIATE CONTAINERS AND CANS DISCARDED.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed shelving and bottom of make table with accumulation of food debris. Clean at increased frequency.
Insufficient lighting 2(pnt) – Light intensity not adequate in kitchen. Observed two ballasts not on or working.
Observed personal belongings stored on dry storage shelving. Relocated to designated area.
- Sugarfire Smokehouse, 3150 Elm Point Industrial Drive – score 98
- Chuck E Cheese’s, 2669 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 96
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – OBSERVED CUT STATION COOLER SHELVING SOILED
- Subway, 3735 Elm Street – score 98
- Sonic Drive-In, 3821 Elm Street – score 98
- White Castle, 2000 South Old Highway 94 – score 98
- Shogun Japanese Restaurant, 2057 Zumbehl Road – score 85
Observed no person in charge with 5 year management food safety certification.
Observed dishmachine not pulling sanitizer. Discontinue use until corrected. To have professionally serviced prior to follow up inspection.
2019 permit payment has been received but online renewal process has not been completed. Observed most recent health inspection not posted.
Discussed Ceiling tile cleaning frequency front and back of house, Cleaning frequency of ice maker, Light intensity and LED bulbs
- Sunflower Hill Farm, 245 Terry Road – score 100
- Dairy Queen, 777 Independence Road – score 100
- St. Charles Community College CDC, 4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 100
- Moe’s Southwest Grill, 6097 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 90
- MOD Pizza, 6091 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 100
The City of St. Peters conducts its own inspections through its Food Sanitation Department. Violation details are not available. The following inspection scores are from November 2018:
- Olive Garden, 5815 Suemandy Drive – score 100
- Paul’s Donuts, 1320 Triad Center Drive – score 87 (Nov. 16), score 92 (Nov. 29)
- Petro Mart, 664 Jungermann Road – score 95
- Pretzelmaker, 1600 Mid Rivers mall Drive Ste. 1504 – score 100
- Pretzelmaker, 1600 Mid Rivers mall Drive Ste. 2014 – score 98
- QuikTrip, 3847 McClay Road – score 100
- Red Lobster, 4101 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 96
- Red Robin, 317 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 100
- Redbirds Sports Bar and Grill, 4223 North St. Peters Parkway – score 95
- Schnuck’s bakery, 577 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 100
- Schnuck’s deli, 577 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 98
- Schnuck’s seafood 577 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 96
- Schnuck’s, 60 Harvester Square – score 96
- Schnuck’s Chef Express, 577 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 98