The St. Charles County Department of Public Health monitors more than 1,300 food service providers in St. Charles County. (The City of St. Peters conducts its own inspections.) Routine inspections are conducted by specialists with the department for proper food safety procedures and are scored by deducting points from a starting score of 100.
The following acronyms are used in violation information: PHF (Potentially Hazardous Food), TCS (Time/Temperature Control for Safety), FCS (Food-contact Surface), NFC (Non-food contact surface), RTE (Read to Eat).
The following scores were posted during the week of December 5 – 11, 2018.
- Wentzville Tower 12, 100 Wentzville Bluffs Drive – score 100
- Arby’s, 1988 Wentzville Parkway – score 98
- Sunny Street Cafe, 1814 Wentzville Parkway Ste. A – score 100
- Rookies Bar & Grill, 15356 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 100
- Mannino’s Market Too, 5023 Highway P – score 100
Lake Saint Louis
- Marco’s Pizza, 1820 Lake Saint Louis Boulevard – score 100
- Arby’s, 909 Robert Raymond Drive – score 100
- Circle K, 1001 Lake Saint Louis Boulevard – score 83
Observed no confirmation for anyone at store having current food safety certification.
Sink is blocked or inaccessible 5(pnt) – Observed damaged items stored in 2 prep hand sinks.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed soda nozzles and walk in cooler in need of cleaning to prevent build up.
Current food safety inspection to be displayed in a conspicuous place. Observed inspection behind other paperwork on display board
- Soulard Gyro, 1280 Highway K – follow up
Previous violations have been corrected including hot water at the hand sinks & fully stocked, dressings dated in the reach in coolers, food no longer stored on the ground, and chemical is in the appropriate range for the dishwasher. Currently gaskets are on back order from Home Depot for the deep freezers and owner plans on scheduling staff for the basic food certification. During the inspection information was given to the owner on where he can go to get the certification. Gaskets will be checked for during the next inspection.
- Asian Cafe Bar & Grill, 1260 Bryan Road – score 100
- McDonald’s, 101 McDonald Lane – follow up
All previous violations have been corrected including Time & Temperature Control on the table, Sanitizer buckets are correct strength, No leak under soda machine, Boxes not stored on the ground, and Ice machine has been thoroughly cleaned. Facility is now fully compliant.
- O’Fallon Senior Center, 106 North Main Street – score 95
Sanitizer too strong 5(pnt) – Observed sanitizer in bucket to be 200+ PPM Chlorine. This was corrected on site by kitchen staff.
- Timber Creek Grill, 1120 Technology Drive – score 96
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed torn gaskets on multiple reach in coolers/freezers in the kitchen.
Damaged floor tiles, holes in walls, missing ceiling tiles 2(pnt)
Observed refrigeration unit for the salad bar not working. This piece of equipment should be repaired as soon as possible.
No leak observed under the dishwasher from previous inspection. During the inspection when I entered the kitchen, staff was throwing away dressings from a reach in cooler that was not working properly. Unable to test the temperatures for the reach in cooler, so unable to verify 41 or below. If establishment wants to use the cooler, the piece of equipment should be repaired.
- KidsPlay, 2949 Highway K – score 100
- Culver’s, 8500 Mexico Road – score 100
- Cappuccino’s Restaurant, 1365 Highway K – score 96
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed torn gaskets on the walk in cooler door.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed excessive food debris and build up on the microwave in the kitchen. Establishment should also clean and maintain shelving in kitchen.
- Progress West Health Care Center, 2 Progress Point Parkway – score 100
- Qdoba Mexican Eats, 1290 Highway K – score 93
Observed no Certified Food Protection Manager on site. This is a repeat violation. High Risk 4 Establishments should ALWAYS have someone on site with a Certified Food Protection Manager Certificate. THE ENFORCEMENT AGENCY MAY REVOKE OR REFUSE TO RENEW A PERMIT FOR REPEATED OR CONTINUING VIOLATIONS OF THE PROVISIONS OF THIS CODE. RISK 4 ESTABLISHMENTS MUST HAVE A CERTIFIED FOOD PROTECTION MANAGER ON SITE AT ALL TIMES.
Vent hood dirty 2(pnt) – Observed excessive grease on vent hoods in grill area.
- Applebee’s, 1377 Highway K – score 100
- Bristol Restaurant, 2314 Technology Drive – score 98
- Sushi Ai, 2981 Highway K – follow up, in compliance
Establishment corrected all previous violations including using gloves in the sushi area, food items are <41 F in the reach in cooler, Walk in cooler has dated food items not passing their 7 day marking, and time and control methods have been verified for sushi.
- Rally’s, 506 South Main Street – score 84
Observed no certified food protection manager on site, nor certified food handler on site during the inspection. Risk 3 Establishments require at least one person on site to have the Basic Food Certification. This is a repeat violation. See comments section.
Ready to eat PHFs not dated 5(pnt) – Observed ready to eat food items out of their original container in the walk in cooler not containing date markings.
Food stored on floor or exposed to moisture/contamination 2(pnt) – Observed single service food items in a box located directly on the ground. These should be stored 6 inches off the ground.
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed torn gaskets on the reach in cooler in prep area and standing walk in cooler.
Excessive heat, steam or fumes present, no mechanical ventilation 2(pnt) – Observed excessive smoke inside of the building with a lack of ventilation.
Basic Food Certification is offered by the health department once a month. Please contact 636-949-1800 ext. 0 to schedule and ask questions regarding the training. NOTE repeat violations are subject to Food Code 8-304.22 Permit Revocation.
- Kitaro Bistro of Japan, 4551 Highway K – score 94
Food stored on floor or exposed to moisture/contamination 2(pnt) – Observed fruits/vegetables in boxes stored directly on the ground in the walk in cooler. These should be stored at least 6 inches from the floor.
Observed excessive scratching and scoring on cutting boards located in the food prep area. These should be resurfaced so that they are easily cleanable and sanitized.
Dirty walls, floors or ceilings because of construction or improper installation 2(pnt) – Observed excessive dust in food prep area and in sushi area. These should be cleaned regularly to avoid potential contamination.
- Lulu’s Bar Grill and Wraps, 3925 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 91
No towels or dryer at sink 5(pnt) – OBSERVED NO PAPER TOWELS AT HANDSINK
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – OBSERVED HANDSINK SOILED, OBERVED FLOUR CONTAINER SOILED, OBSERVED SHELVING SOILED ABOVE PREP COOLER, OBSERVED HOOD VENTS HEAVILY SOILED
OBSERVED MISSING CEILING TILES ABOVE WALK IN COOLER
- St. Charles Community College Food Service, 4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 100
- Frontier Health and Rehabilitation, 2840 West Clay Street – score 100
- Arby’s, 3788 Elm Street – score 100
- Arby’s, 1830 South First Capitol Drive – score 100
- Artistic Affairs Catering, 1336 Caulks Hill Road – score 100
- NHC Healthcare, 35 Sugar Maple Lane – score 100
- Culver’s, 2750 Muegge Road – score 100
- Wendy’s, 2760 Muegge Road – score 100
- SC Catering at St. Peter School, 201 First Capitol Drive – score 100
- Cedarhurst Living, 1800 First Capitol Drive – score 98
- Burger King, 2320 First Capitol Drive – score 96
Outer openings unprotected 2(pnt) – Observed back door in kitchen damaged on right bottom corner. Air visible to outside at point of damage.
Leaking plumbing or plumbing in disrepair 5, 2(pnt) – Observed dripping from handsink before p-trap on sink located between walk in cooler/freezer.
- Game Day Gourmet, 1900 West Randolph Street – score 100
- Steak N Shake, 2221 First Capitol Drive – follow up, in compliance
- Chartwell’s at St. Charles Senior High West, 3601 Droste Road – follow up, in compliance
- Bella Vino, 325 South Main Street – follow up, in compliance
- Taste of Mayberry Kettle Corn, 124 Oakridge West Drive – score 100
- McAlister’s Deli, 1598 County Club Plaza – score 96
Damaged floor tiles, holes in walls, missing ceiling tiles 2(pnt) – Observed tile damage in mop sink area.
Unshielded bulbs 2(pnt) – 2 ballasts observed without shields. Replaces shields or switch to led plastic bulbs or shatter resistant bulbs.
- Mount Carmel Communities, 723 First Capitol Drive – score 100
- Outback Steakhouse, 1620 Country Club Plaza Drive – score 95
Observed sanitizer buckets at 0 ppm quat. Dispenser located at end of cooking line found not dispensing chemical at correct rate. Dispenser at mop sink found dispensing at proper range. All buckets to be remade using chemicals from mop location quat dispenser.
- King Edwards Fried Chicken, 1201 South Duchesne Drive – score 100
- Thai Cuisine, 2436 West Clay – score 95
Sink is blocked or inaccessible 5(pnt)
The City of St. Peters also conducts its own inspections through its Food Sanitation Department. Violation details are not available. The following inspection scores are from October 2018:
- Papa Murphy’s, 571 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 92
- Parrot’s Bar & Grill, 2951 North St. Peters Parkway – score 100
- Pirrone’s Pizzeria, 299 Salt Lick Road – score 100
- Pizza Hut, 7315 Mexico Road – score 98
- Popeye’s, 1640 Jungermann Road – score 98
- Pretzel Stop, 1650 Jungermann Road – scor 100
- Primrose School of St. Charles at Heritage, 1001 Heritage Crossing – score 100
- QuikTrip, 391 North Main Street – score 100
- QuikTrip, 4646 South St. Peters Parkway – score 98
- Rosy’s Cakes and Paco’s Tacos, 6240 Mexico Road – score 89 (Oct. 9), score 94 (Oct. 23)
- Ruby Tuesday, 190 Mid Rivers Mall Circle – score 98
- Salvatore’s Pizza & Pasta, 4139 Highway 94 S – score 98
- Schnuck’s bakery, 48 Plaza 94 Drive – score 100
- Schnuck’s deli, salad bar and seafood, 48 Plaza 94 Drive – all scored 98
- Schnuck’s, 100 Jungermann Road – score 98
- Schnuck’s, 60 Harvester Square – score 95
- Shamrocks Pub N Grill, 4177 Veterans Memorial parkway – score 94
- Smoothie King, 4867 Mexico Road – score 98
- Spencer Place Assisted Living, 265 Spencer Road – score 95
- St. Louis Bread, 6185 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 94
- St. Peters Manor Care Center, 230 Spencer Road – score 100
- Steak N Shake, 1460 Jungermann Road – score 85 (Oct. 15), score 90 (Oct. 25)
- Stumpy’s House of Bar-B-Que, 620 Jungermann Road – score 98
- Subway, 1661 Jungermann Road – score 98
- The Crazy Greek, 235 Jungermann Road Ste. 203-205 – score 93
- Walmart bakery, deli, meat, refrigerated, 45 Sutters Mill Road – score 100
- Wild Poppy Atelier, 230 Jungermann Road – score 100
- Youth in Need, 417 South Church Street – score 100