The St. Charles County Department of Public Health monitors more than 1,300 food service providers in St. Charles County. (The City of St. Peters conducts its own inspections.) Routine inspections are conducted by specialists with the department for proper food safety procedures and are scored by deducting points from a starting score of 100.
The following acronyms are used in violation information: PHF (Potentially Hazardous Food), TCS (Time/Temperature Control for Safety), FCS (Food-contact Surface), NFC (Non-food contact surface), RTE (Read to Eat).
The following scores were posted within the last week, October 17 – 23, 2018.
- Old Town Smokehouse, 2 East Main Street – score 100
- Stefanina’s Pizzeria and Restaurant, 762 West Pearce Boulevard – score 100
- Penn Station, 1780 Wentzville Parkway – score 100
- Wentzville Family Diner, 403 Luetkenhaus Boulevard – score 96
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) on stand up cooler bottom ,and reach under cooler
Observed that caulking on wall around dish machine is covered with black mold like substance
- Los Portales, 503 West Pearce Boulevard – follow up
Ready to eat PHFs not dated 5(pnt) – Some foods out of date and expired foods still for retail sale
Lake Saint Louis
- Chapel of the Lake, 11000 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 100
- Pasta House Company, 10 Meadows Circle Drive Ste. 116 – score 100
- Panda Express, 4200 Ronald Reagan Drive – follow up, in compliance
- Lakeside Pub, 10600 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 88
Owner has food safety certification but is not present. Facility needs an employee present with basic sanitation certification.
Ready to eat PHFs not dated 5(pnt) – All ready to eat potentially hazardous foods to be date marked and disposed of when expired.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed some non contact surfaces in need of cleaning to prevent build up.
Discussed sanitizer set up and usage. Discussed display of current inspection. No smoking in food storage. Discussed food storage under stairs. Hand sink to be used only for hand washing and should be kept clean.
- St. Joseph Hospital West, 100 Medical Plaza – score 100
- Ages & Stages Learning Center, 3925 Highway D – score 100
- Red Robin, 1440 Mexico Loop Road E – score 96
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed torn gaskets on the reach in coolers located on the cooks line. Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed shelving near the food preparation area containing built up dust and food residue. Shelving should be cleaned and maintained by employees regularly.
- Flik International at Mastercard Cafe, 5555 Winghaven Boulevard – score 95
Failure to designate a Person-in-Charge . No one present have proper food service certification REPEAT
- Wendy’s, 1390 Mexico Loop Road E – score 93
Sink used for purposes other than hand washing 5(pnt) – Observed an unused dirty pitcher in the hands ink. Hand sinks should be designated for hand washing only.
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed torn gaskets on the reach in coolers and tall freezer.
- Schuck’s deli and salad bar, 3029 Highway K – both scored 100
- Ami’s of St. Charles, 3728 Monticello Plaza Drive – score 94
Handwashing signage 2(pnt) – OBSERVED HAND WASHING SIGNS MISSING IN WOMEN’S RESTROOM AND KITCHEN HAND SINK
Outer openings unprotected 2(pnt) – OBSERVED OUTER OPENINGS AT BACK DOOR NOT PROTECTED.
OBSERVED SOME CEILING TILES IN KITCHEN SOILED. OBSERVED FAN GUARDS SOILED IN WALK IN COOLER
- The Learning Lodge, 140 T.R. Hughes Boulevard – score 98
- Alpha & Omega Roasting, 111 North Main Street – score 100
- Thai Kitchen, 8632 Mexico Road – score 93
Ready to eat PHFs not dated 5(pnt) – Observed food items in the walk in cooler not labeled or dated. All items out of their original container should be labeled and dated and not exceed their 7 day marking.
Food stored in prohibited area 2(pnt) – Observed packed items including half and half and lemons in a container being stored in ice used for service at the bar. During the inspection the items were immediately taken out and placed in a cooler and ice was replaced by manager on site.
Previous violations were corrected.
- Sodexo at Schneider Electric, 807 Corporate Centre Drive – score 100
- AFC Sushi at Schnucks, 3740 Monticello Plaza Drive – score 100
- New China, 620 North Main Street – score 91
Ready to eat PHFs not dated 5(pnt) – Observed ready to eat food items and other cooked and prepared food items in containers with no label or date. This was corrected on site.
Non-food grade materials used for food storage 2(pnt) – Observed cooked chicken being stored in cardboard boxes for cooling and other food items stored in aluminum cans. Food should be stored in food grade material containers.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed built up food residue on the can opener and inner/upper portion of the microwave. These items should be cleaned regularly.
Previous violations were corrected including thermometers provided for cold holding units, eggs stored under prepared and cut vegetables, no wiping cloths out of the containers, barewood pallets have been painted, and freezers have been replaced.
- Pantera’s Pizza, 22 O’Fallon Square – score 98
- Bombshell Bar & Grill, 3915 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 96
Thermometers missing from hot or cold unit 2(pnt) – OBSERVED NO THERMOMETER IN REACH IN COOLERS
OBSERVED CEILING TILES SOILED IN KITCHEN PREP AREA
- Mannino’s Market, 5205 Highway N – score 100
- Circle K, 3401 Harry S Truman Boulevard – score 98
- Bobby’s Place, 143 North Main Street – score 92
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed areas with accumulation of debris. Requiring cleaning at increased frequency. Areas include (but are not limited to): Shelving in walk in cooler, Floors under all equipment and work surfaces and baseboard areas, Floors surrounding fryers, Ceiling tiles and air vents in kitchen.
Leaking plumbing or plumbing in disrepair 5, 2(pnt) – Observed both handsinks in kitchen in disrepair. Small leak observed in plumbing.
Observed FRP paneling coming off wall in kitchen on corner near entrance to dishmachine area.
Insufficient lighting 2(pnt) – Observed insufficient lighting in kitchen. 50 foot candles required in food preparation areas. Observed multiple bulbs not working. Replace bulbs. Can replace with plastic led bulbs and remove light covers.
- Hendrick’s BBQ, 1200 South Main Street – score 91
Observed dishmachine in kitchen not pulling sanitizer. Must be at 50-100 ppm chlorine. Discontinue use until corrected.
Harborage conditions not eliminated to prevent presence of fruit fly’s or other insects.
Leaking plumbing or plumbing in disrepair 5, 2(pnt) – Observed damaged floor drain on 3 compartment sink upstairs in main kitchen. Observed signs of water drips in downstairs plumbing. Possible result of damaged floor drain. Have inspected by licensed plumber to determine cause and correction.
- Hendrick’s BBQ, 1200 South Main Street – follow up, dish machine in compliance
- St. Charles Children’s House, 318 South Duchesne Drive – score 100
- The Corner Bar & Grill, 571 First Capitol Drive – score 96
Observed food debris/grease accumulation around cooking equipment, most notably around fryers in kitchen. Observed hood vents with accumulation of grease. Clean areas at increased frequency to prevent accumulation.
Damaged floor tiles, holes in walls, missing ceiling tiles 2(pnt) – OBSERVED DAMAGED WALL ABOVE ENTRANCE OF KITCHEN. OBSERVED MISSING FRP PANELING IN KITCHEN. ALL WALL SURFACES MUST BE OF SMOOTH, EASILY CLEANABLE, NON ABSORBENT MATERIAL.
- Zion Lutheran Church, 3866 Harvester Road – follow up, in compliance
- Uncle Joe’s Bar & Grill, 204 North Main Street – score 98
- Heart of St. Charles Banquet Center, 1410 South Fifth Street – score 91
Observed dishmachine in upper kitchen and lower bakery to be not at correct sanitizer concentration. Observed both machines around 10 ppm chlorine. Machines are dispensing chemical but not at sufficient rate for proper sanitizing of dishware/utensils. To have machines serviced. Discontinue use until corrected.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – OBSERVED MOLD-LIKE SUBSTANCE ON WALLS AND CEILING IN LOWER LEVEL WALK IN COOLER. OBSERVED MOLD LIKE SUBSTANCE ON TOP OF ICE CHUTE IN ICE MAKER LOCATED IN SOUTH BALLROOM BAR UPPER LEVEL.
Insufficient lighting 2(pnt) – Light bulbs burned out in upstairs kitchen. Light levels below requirement. Consider switching to LED bulbs and removing light shields as LED bulbs are made of shatter resistant material, to increase brightness in main kitchen. Observed lightbulbs in walk in cooler not shielded. Provide shields or replace with shatter resistant bulbs or led bulbs.
- Heart of St. Charles Banquet Center, 1410 South Fifth Street – follow up, in compliance
- Fairwinds Rivers Edge, 600 Rivers Edge Drive – score 100
- Hunan House, 428 South Fifth Street – follow up, in compliance
- Kabob and Kurry, 2220 First Capitol Drive – score 93
Observed multiple prescription medicine bottles (with medicine) stored in a foil pan on dry goods shelving. Storage location relocated. Medicines that are in a FOOD ESTABLISHMENT for the EMPLOYEES’ use shall be labeled and located to prevent the contamination of FOOD, EQUIPMENT, UTENSILS, LINENS, and SINGLE-SERVICE and SINGLE-USE ARTICLES.
Observed 2 cans of RAID and HOME DEFENSE pesticide stored in kitchen. Removed from facility. To have only licensed pest control company treat for pests. POISONOUS OR TOXIC MATERIALS shall be stored so they can not contaminate FOOD, EQUIPMENT, UTENSILS, LINENS, and SINGLE- SERVICE and SINGLE-USE ARTICLES
Observed air vents in kitchen with accumulation of debris. Observed baseboards and floors in corners and under equipment with accumulation of debris. Observed outsides of dry good containers with accumulation of debris.
Clean all areas at increased frequency to prevent accumulation.
- Domino’s Pizza, 1966 South Old Highway 94 – score 94
Observed no on duty with a basic sanitation or serv safe course. Handwashing signage 2(pnt) – Observed no handsink sign at front of house
Observed ceiling tiles soiled above 3 compartment sink
- Demolition Ball, 1875 South Old Highway 94 – follow up, in compliance
- Picasso’s Coffee, 101 North Main Street – score 98
- Picasso’s Coffee, 1650 Beale Street – score 90
Sink is blocked or inaccessible 5(pnt)
Unlabeled spray bottle 5(pnt)
- Raising Canes Chicken Fingers, 6095 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 98
- Lewis & Clark American Restaurant, 217 South Main Street – score 96
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed ceiling air vents and surrounding ceiling tiles in kitchen with accumulation of dust and debris. Clean vents at increased frequency to prevent accumulation on vents and ceiling tiles.
Leaking plumbing or plumbing in disrepair 5, 2(pnt) – Small drip observed in plumbing for handsink located in prep area of kitchen.
- Old Mill Stream Inn, 912 South Main Street – score 96
Observed person in charge without 5 year food safety certification. A person in charge, to cover all shifts, must have a 5 year management level food safety certification.
Observed air vents and surrounding ceiling tiles with accumulation of dust and debris. Observed ceiling tiles missing in back of kitchen near kitchen exit door.
- Bradden’s, 515 South Main Street – score 100
- Concetta’s Italian Restaurant, 600 South Fifth Street – score 91
Observed provel cheese at 47 F on salad make table on probe thermometer. Observed salad make table air at 53 F on probe thermometer. Remove food from service and discontinue use of cooler until corrected to hold foods at 41 F or below.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – OBSERVED FOOD DEBRIS ON WALLS AND IN CORNERS/ALONG BASEBOARDS OF KITCHEN. OBSERVED AIR VENTS OUTSIDE OF HOOD VENT WITH DUST AND DEBRIS. CLEAN ALL AREAS AT AN INCREASED FREQUENCY TO PREVENT BUILDUP.
Damaged floor tiles, holes in walls, missing ceiling tiles 2(pnt) – OBSERVED WALLS IN KITCHEN IN POOR REPAIR. OBSERVED AREAS OF MISSING WALL TILE THROUGHOUT. OBSERVED PAINT FLAKING IN WALK IN COOLER ON WALLS OF COOLER.
- Quintessential Restaurant and Night Club, 149 North Main Street – score 91
Observed harborage conditions not eliminated to prevent presence of fruit flys in upstairs bar. Observed trash cans with debris and multiple syrup/liquor bottles with only small cups covering spouts. Observed fruit flys inside two liquor bottles. Bottles removed from service. Observed floors under equipment/shelving and floors under dishmachine area with accumulation of debris. Observed food debris on walls in salad make station room. Observed possible mold-like substance on ceiling of walk in cooler. Observed dust accumulation on fan cover in walk in cooler. Observed food/debris accumulation on shelving in walk in cooler. Observed water damage to walls on both sides that is located in salad make station room.
- Schnuck’s retail, seafood and deli, 7909 Highway N – all scored 100
- Schnuck’s bakery, 7909 Highway N – score 98
- Eurest Dining at Verizon, 500 Technology Drive – score 100
The City of St. Peters also conducts its own inspections through its Food Sanitation Department. Violation details are not available. The following inspection scores are from September 2018:
- 101 Asian Cuisine, 6132 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 96
- 31 Wine House and Beer Garden, 311 Main Street – score 100
- 7-Eleven Store, 6680 Mexico Road – score 100
- ALDI, 343 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 100
- ALDI, 1665 Jungermann Road – score 100
- Bahama Buck’s, 6010 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 93 (Sept. 14), score 98 (Sept. 28)
- Brookdale, 363 Jungermann Road – score 98