The St. Charles County Department of Public Health monitors more than 1,300 food service providers in St. Charles County. (The City of St. Peters conducts its own inspections.) Routine inspections are conducted by specialists with the department for proper food safety procedures and are scored by deducting points from a starting score of 100.
The following acronyms are used in violation information: PHF (Potentially Hazardous Food), TCS (Time/Temperature Control for Safety), FCS (Food-contact Surface), NFC (Non-food contact surface), RTE (Read to Eat).
The following scores were posted during the week of February 6 – 12, 2019.
- Popeye’s, 3265 North Service Road East – score 100
- Taco Bell/Pizza Hut, 3265 North Service Road East – score 91
In-use serving utensils not stored properly 2(pnt) – In use utensils to be stored in food with handles out of food.
Leaking plumbing or plumbing in disrepair 5, 2(pnt) – Water leak at 3 comp sink sanitizer compartment. Observed ceiling leak from rain. Water leaks into walkway near taco prep
- Travel Centers of America, 3265 North Service Road East – score 100
- Mr Fuel, 11 Highway W – score 100
- McDonald’s, 21700 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 98
- Fireside Bar & Grill, 30 West Highway D Ste. 103 – score 98
- Maracas, 4600 Highway Z – score 79
Cooked PHF?s not properly cooled 5(pnt) – Observed buckets of queso being cooled on the counter. Observed beef, chicken, rice on left side of hot holding table at temperatures of 115-121 deg F. Hot holding must be kept at 135 or above at all times.
Unlabeled spray bottle 5(pnt) – Observed a bottle labeled “sanitizer” but appears to have oven cleaner in the bottle. Bottle was stored on the shelves with food. Ensure that approved sanitizer (typically chlorine or quat) are being used on food contact surfaces.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed dirty/water in bin where clean lids are stored, dirt/debris in buckets where clean utensils are stored, dirty cardboard and dusty/dirty shelves where clean utensils are stored, dirty shelves in walk-in, and dusty fan covers in walk-in.
Damaged floor tiles, holes in walls, missing ceiling tiles 2(pnt) – Observed leak in lower level storage area (appears to be from dishwasher area above). Observed leak near sink in lower level. Observed water and deteriorated wall/moulding behind diswash area. Repair and maintain in good repair areas.
- 909 Public House, 909 Main Plaza Drive – score 95
No hot water at front men’s room hand sink. Hot water available throughout rest of facility.
- Wentzville BP, 15260 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 96
Post a copy of the food safety certificate (basic class).
Observed that none of the trash cans/receptacles in the women’s restroom had covers. Provide covers for trash cans in restroom.
- Wentzville Family Diner, 403 Luetkenhaus Boulevard – score 95
Utensils and FCS not sanitized before use 5(pnt) – Dish machine not sanitizing at time of inspection.
- Parklane Care & Rehab Center, 401 Mar Le Drive – score 100
- El Maguey Mexican Restaurant, 1075 West Pearce Boulevard – score 96
Food stored on floor or exposed to moisture/contamination 2(pnt) – Observed food in freezer exposed to ice and water.
Observed accumulation of ice on freezer unit and pipes.
- Holt High School, 600 Campus Drive – score 100
- Twin Oaks at Heritage Point Assisted Living, 228 Savannah Terrace Drive – score 100
Lake Saint Louis
- Steak N Shake, 835 Robert Raymond Drive – score 94
None of the staff present had the required certified food manager certificate. One certified food manager must be on staff during all operating hours.
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed deteriorated gaskets on upright reach-in McCall freezer in cook line. Observed sweep on back door is in disrepair. Observed large amount of ice accumulation in walk-in freezer. Repair/Replace these units/areas and maintain in good repair.
Observed dirty floors particularly in back hall and storage area, also some missing/chipped floor tiles. Also observed dirty grate on ceiling by breakroom.
- Lake Forest Golf & Country Club, 300 Yard Drive – score 98
- Cottages of Lake Saint Louis, 2885 Technology Drive – score 100
- Fresh Thyme Farmers Market retail, deli and produce, 2235 Highway K – all scored 100
- Thai Gourmet, 4267 Keaton Crossing Boulevard – score 98
- Cracker Barrel, 120 Progress Point Court – score 100
- Dierberg’s deli, retail, 2979 Highway K – both scored 100
- Dierberg’s salad bar, 2979 Highway K – score 98
- Bento Sushi Bar at Dierberg’s, 2979 Highway K – score 100
- Hunan King, 3038 Winghaven Boulevard – score 100
- Papa John’s Pizza, 3449 Pheasant Meadow Drive – score 100
- Barrels Taphouse and Grill, 6726 Highway N – score 96
Observed pineapple juice stored in metal cans in the bar area. Metal may not be used for storing acidic food items.
Observed torn gaskets on the reach in cooler (far right hand side).
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – (1) Observed the inner barrier/rim of the ice machine having a dark build up. This should be cleaned regularly. (2) Observed excessive grease on the vent hoods. Cleaning was originally scheduled for end of January.
- Subway, 3094 Winghaven Boulevard – score 100
- China Buffet & Grill, 373 Winding Woods Drive – score 96
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed poorly maintained gaskets throughout the kitchen on reach in coolers and doors.
Dirty walls, floors or ceilings because of construction or improper installation 2(pnt) – Observed built up of grease on floors behind fryers and grills.
- Thai Kitchen, 8632 Mexico Road – score 84
Sink used for purposes other than hand washing 5(pnt) – Observed food items thawing in the hand sink during the inspection. Handsink should be used for only hand washing.
Observed no soap or paper towels at the hand sink in the kitchen. These should be stocked at all times.
Ready to eat PHFs not dated 5(pnt) – Observed items in the walk in cooler and reach in cooler not labeled or dated.
Food stored on floor or exposed to moisture/contamination 2(pnt) – Observed beef and chicken stored in cardboard boxes directly on the ground in the kitchen. Observed individually packed items on the floor in the freezer. All items should be kept 6 inches off the floor to prevent contamination.
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed torn gaskets on the stand up walk in cooler and reach in cooler on the cook line.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – (1) Observed soiled can opener. Regularly clean this piece of equipment. (2) Observed dark build up on the outer/inner rim of the ice machine.
Observed vent hoods with excessive grease. Increase frequency of professional cleaning or additional employee cleaning.
- Imo’s Pizza, 9951 Winghaven Boulevard – score 100
- Culver’s 4351 Highway K – score 98
- New China, 620 North Main Street – score 93
Sink is blocked or inaccessible 5(pnt)
Both hand sinks in kitchen to be available for use as hand washing sink.
Lower compartment of reach in cooler accumulating moisture and dripping on floor. Equipment should not hold or drip moisture. Discussed Signage for no smoking ordinance; Cardboard to be eliminated as surface for storage; Pest control chemical not to be stored in kitchen food prep area. Pest control chemicals are only to be applied as directed on the manufacturers label. Fly strip to be removed from over food prep surface. Small drip at north hand sink to be fixed.
- Thai Jasmine Restaurant, 2019 Highway K – score 98
- The Pasta House Co., 2558 Highway K – score 86
PHF?s not held at 41 degrees or below 5(pnt) – Observed two coolers/display tables holding temperatures above 42 degrees. Items were immediately thrown away by management.
Thermometers missing from hot or cold unit 5(pnt) – Observed multiple thermometers missing from cold holding reach in coolers including ones in the serving areas.
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed torn gaskets throughout reach in coolers on the kitchen line. This is a repeat violation x2.
Observed a leak coming from the walk in cooler (not located above food). This should be fixed immediately.
Observed mold around the three compartment sink that needs recaulking. This is a repeat violation.
Observed personal items mixed with consumer items in reach in coolers.
- Mellow Mushroom Pizza Bakers, 4716 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 100
- St. Charles Community College, 4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 100
- Sodexo at Warren Elementary School, 141 Weiss Road – score 100
- Chartwell’s at Harris Elementary, 2800 Old Muegge Road – score 100
- Funke’s Bar and Grill, 331 North Main Street – score 91
No person in charge with minimum requirement for food safety certification. Risk 3 establishment requires one person with a 5 year management certification. When person with 5 year certification is not on site, other person in charge must have basic level food safety certification.
Observed leak in plumbing under 3 compartment sink in back of house.
Most recent inspection found not posted for public viewing.
- Kabab N Kurry, 2220 First Capitol Drive – score 94
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Observed badly damaged gasket on make table reach in cooler.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed mold-like substance on walk in cooler shelving. Observed debris accumulation on top of dishwasher. Observed debris accumulation on outsides of dry good storage containers, includes tops of lids. Observed debris accumulation on inside of reach in make table cooler. Clean areas at increased frequency to prevent accumulation of debris.
Observed debris accumulation on floors under equipment, tables, and shelving units. Observed grease and debris accumulation behind cooking equipment and range. Clean areas at increased frequency to prevent accumulation.
- Chartwells at Orchard Farm Early Learning, 3489 Boschertown Road – score 100
- Chartwells at Discovery Elementary, 500 Discovery Path Lane – score 100
- El Agave, 3823 Elm Street – follow up
PHF?s not held at 41 degrees or below 5(pnt) – Observed cook line reach in cooler at 45-51 degrees. Carnitas at 51, sour cream 45. Repair/Replace cooler to ensure it can maintain temperatures bellow 41.
- El Agave, 3823 Elm Street – follow up
PHF?s not held at 41 degrees or below 5(pnt)
Observed cooler still not holding temperature as required. Observed guacamole at 48, meat at 54, cheese at 50, salsa at 50. Repair/Replace cooler to ensure it is able to maintain required temperature.
- Cracker Barrel, 901 Veterans Memorial Parkway – follow up, in compliance
- Sam’s Club Rotisserie Chicken, 2855 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 100
- Zion Lutheran Lunch Program, 3866 Harvester Road – score 93
Utensils and FCS not sanitized before use 5(pnt) – OBSERVED DISHWASHER NOT SANITIZING, CHLORINE READING 0PPM
- Stefanina’s Express, 3831 Elm Street – follow up, in compliance
- Sodexo at Central Elementary School, 4525 Central School Road – score 100
- Chinatown Express, 2205 First Capitol Drive – score 91
Sink used for purposes other than hand washing 5(pnt) – OBSERVED HANDSINK IN KITCHEN AREA WITH DISHES STORED ON TOP OF BASIN
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – OBSERVED SHELVING SOILED UNDER PREP TABLE, OBSERVED SHELVING SOILED ON CART IN KITCHEN AREA
Unshielded bulbs 2(pnt) – OBSERVED LIGHT NOT SHIELDED IN KITCHEN
- Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, 2412 West Clay Street – follow up, in compliance
- Uncle Bob’s Spice and Blends, 1382 Charlestown Industrial Drive – score 100
- Uncle Bob’s Commissary, 1382 Charlestown Industrial Drive – score 100
- Hardee’s, 2701 Highway 94 North – score 94
Torn or broken door seals, hinges etc. (poorly maintained or in disrepair) 2(pnt) – Gasket seals observed damaged on some coolers and with accumulation of debris.
Dirty NFCs 2(pnt) – Observed walk in cooler shelving with accumulation of debris and mold-like substance. Observed ceiling tiles and wiring with dust and debris accumulation. Cleans areas at increased frequency to prevent accumulation.
Observed photocopy of 2018 permit displayed. Original 2019 permit is required to be displayed for public viewing.
- Lewis & Clark American Restaurant, 217 South Main Street – score 98
- Bar Louie, 1650 Beale Street – score 95
No towels or dryer at sink 5(pnt) – OBSERVED BOTH HANDSINKS AT BAR WITHOUT PAPER TOWELS
- Chartwells at Null Elementary, 435 Yale Boulevard – score 100
- Chartwells at Coverdell Elementary, 2475 West Randolph Street – score 100
- Chartwells at Benton Elementary, 400 North Sixth Street – score 100
- Immanuel Lutheran School, 115 South Sixth Street – score 100
- Lee’s Famous Recipe Chicken, 1013 South Fifth Street – score 100
- Food Service Consultants at St. Elizabeth/St. Robert, 1 Seton Court – score 100
- Lewis and Clark Gardens, 1221 Boone’s Lick Road – score 95
- Fairwinds at Rivers Edge, 600 Rivers Edge Drive – score 95
PHF?s not held at 41 degrees or below 5(pnt) – observed foods in salad cooler at 60 degrees
- Sodexo at John Weldon Elementary School, 7370 Weldon Spring Road – score 100
- Sodexo at Independence Elementary School, 4800 Meadows Parkway – score 100
- Sodexo at Fairmount Elementary School, 1725 Thoele Road – score 100
The City of St. Peters also conducts its own inspections through its Food Sanitation Department. Violation details are not available. The following inspection scores are from December 2018:
- J. Noto Bakery, 5105 Westwood Drive – score 100
- Jimmy John’s, 6295 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 100
- KFC, 4118 Mexico Road – score 93 (Dec. 6), score 98 (Dec. 18)
- KFC, 1699 Jungermann Road – score 94
- Laulie Cakes, 1215 Jungermann Road – score 98
- Little Caesar’s, 36 Harvester Square Unit B – score 91
- Little Learners of St. Peters, 605 South Church Street – score 100
- Long John Silver’s, 4401 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 87 (Dec. 3), score 92 (Dec. 14)
- Los Chavez Mexican Grille, 4245 Veterans Memorial Parkway – score 100
- Lucky Sushi House, 222 Mid Rivers Center – score 100
- McDonald’s, 24 Harvester Square – score 100
- McDonald’s, 299 Mid Rivers Mall Drive – score 98
- McDonald’s, 7890 Mexico Road – score 98