Starting at 9 a.m. on Monday, June 18, East Terra Lane (the I-70 north service road) in O’Fallon, Missouri, will be closed from Main Street (Highway K) east to Hilltop Way. The closure marks the beginning of a major traffic flow improvement project.
MoDOT estimates that this first phase, which will relocate the exit and entrance ramps between Highway K and T.R. Hughes, will take 45 days.
The City of O’Fallon suggests the following detours during the closure: “Drivers will be able to access Country Life subdivision via Hilltop Way, with East Terra remaining open as a two-way street from the junction of Hilltop Way to T.R. Hughes Boulevard. However, access to East Terra from the Sonderen Street loop and Harmony Lane will be closed. Veterans Memorial Parkway and I-70 will be open and provide alternate routes for driving from one interchange to the other during construction.”
The closure is part of a cooperative project between MoDOT and the City of O’Fallon to improve an area known for traffic delays and congestion. Also planned are:
- An extended acceleration lane from Highway K to westbound I-70
- A new one-way south outer road (Drennen Parkway) for eastbound traffic between Highway K and T.R. Hughes Boulevard
- Conversion of the north outer road to one-way westbound traffic
- A third southbound lane on Highway K from I-70 to Veterans Memorial Parkway
- A third northbound lane from Bramblett Road to the new south outer road (Drennen Parkway)
- Construction of a bike/pedestrian path on Route K between Mariae Drive and Veterans Memorial Parkway
The $15 million project will continue through 2018. MoDOT is paying about $4.4 million of the total, with the City of O’Fallon picking up the rest of the tab.
Electronic message boards will alert drivers and signs indicating the detour route will be posted. Information and a map of the area showing closures and detours will be provided on the City’s website, www.ofallon.mo.us.