Police K-9 Injured in Attempt to Apprehend Suspect in O’Fallon Standoff

Talos and Officer Mike Aronson
O'Fallon K-9 Talos and Officer Mike Aronson in a file photo from the O'Fallon Police Department Facebook page.

The O’Fallon Police department released more information today about a domestic incident that turned into an eight-hour standoff in the 100 block of Cordes Street Sunday. A police dog sustained minor injuries during the incident.

The original call of a domestic assault in progress was received at 2:02 p.m., the  department said. Once on the scene, officers were told by a female subject that she and a male subject had been arguing. The male subject had an active warrant for felony sexual assault sodomy out of Johnson County, MO with a $20,000 bond.

Police officers evacuated the occupants because they believed that the male subject was armed. With the perimeter secured, a police dog was sent in.

“During the incident in an effort to locate and apprehend the suspect, K9 Talos was sent into the residence,” the press released stated. “The canine did locate and attempt to take the suspect down in the basement, however the suspect apparently fought off the canine and trapped the canine in the basement refusing to surrender. The responding officers heard what sounded like a muffled gunshot from the basement.”

The St. Charles County Regional SWAT team was activated and nearby residents were evacuated. The SWAT team, who were in charge of negotiations, were able to retrieve the police dog, who was limping.

Talos and Officer Mike Aronson
O\’Fallon K-9 Talos and Officer Mike Aronson in a file photo from the O\’Fallon Police Department Facebook page.

“[Talos] was treated at a local emergency animal clinic last evening and was checked out by the department’s veterinarian on today’s date. K-9 handler, Officer Mike Aronson, advised K9 Talos seems to be doing well,” the department reported.

The suspect surrendered at 10:44 p.m. and was taken into custody. The suspect had dog bites on both arms and was taken to the hospital for treatment.

The police did not find a gun at the scene.