The 14th Annual Polar Plunge on Feb. 4 at Lake Saint Louis was a splashing success, raising $112,651 to date. A record 462 brave men and women from around the area donned costumes and swimwear to take a chilly dip into Lake Saint Louise. Their Reason for Freezin’ – the athletes of Special Olympics Missouri!
Online fundraising is still ongoing. Organizers of the plunge still hope to raise an additional $7,349 to reach the goal of $120,000 Donations can be made at www.somo.org/plunge.
Top individual fundraisers included the following
- 1st Place Fundraiser – David Hurst- $8,513
- 2nd Place Fundraiser – Jeff Conderman- $2,790
- 3rd Place Fundraiser – Chris Barnett- $1,610
Any other prize categories awarded:
- 1st Place Fundraiser School – Fort Zumwalt West Middle School- $10,867
- 1st Place Fundraiser Law Enforcement Agency – St. Charles County Police Department – $9,580
- 1st Place Fundraiser Group – Team Supa Dupa – $7,388
Competition for the Golden Plunger was steep this year. Participants are encouraged to come in costume and compete for the chance to take home the “golden plunger.”
- 1st Place – Viking (Individual), Pepper Spray (Law Enforcement), Blind Mice (Group)
- 2nd Place – Blues Brothers (Individual), Roller Coaster (Law Enforcement), Team Supa Dupa (Group)
- 3rd Place – Elf (Individual), Tribute to 2016 Dead Celebrities (Law Enforcement), Crystal City Sombreros (Group)
This year’s event was held in conjunction with Lake St. Louis, Wentzville, O’Fallon, and St. Charles County law enforcement agencies. Presenting sponsors included Shop’n Save, iHeart Media, Moneta Group, Centene, Deer Valley Home Health Services, Raising Cane’s, Code 3 Inc., Premier Rentals, Chick-Fil-A, and Spotlight Photobooth STL.
For more information about the Polar Plunge, visit www.somo.org/plunge.