A neighbor at the Cedar Lakes apartment complex shared her video of the Wednesday’s fire with 70 West Sentinel.
Erin Bence was sleeping after working a night shift when sirens woke her up. She stepped outside on her back deck and, she said, the air was filled with white smoke.
She ran downstairs to see what was going on. “It smelled like fireworks,” she said.
Bence saw smoke rolling from the roof of an apartment building down the street and heard first responders yelling for a battering ram.
The 3-alarm fire caused extensive damage to eight apartment units. The residents who were home were quickly evacuated, and firefighters rescued a dog from one apartment.