The 16th Annual Polar Plunge, held on February 2 in Lake Saint Louis was a splashing success, raising $80,894 to date.
A total of 387 brave men and women from around the area donned costumes and swimwear to take a chilly dip into Lake Sainte Louise. Their ‘Reason for Freezin’?’ The athletes of Special Olympics Missouri!
Online fundraising is still ongoing. Organizers of the plunge still hope to raise an additional $34,000 to reach the goal of $115,000 Donations can be made at www.somo.org/plunge.
Top individual fundraisers included the following:
- 1st Place Fundraiser – David Hurst ($4,137)
- Top Fundraising Team – UAW-GM ($7,328)
- Top Law Enforcement Team – St. Charles County’s Finest – ($5,379)
- Top Fundraising School – Ballin for a Cause ($3,427)
Competition for the Golden Plunger was steep this year. Participants are encouraged to come in costume and compete for the chance to take home the “golden plunger.”
- Group 1st Place – St. Charles West High School
- Group 2nd Place – Supa Dupa Plumbers
- Group 3rd Place – Timberland Lifeguards
- Law Enforcement Group 1st Place – The House that Riley Built
- Law Enforcement Group 2nd Place – St. Charles County Refs
- Law Enforcement Group 3rd Place – Troop C Icers
- Individual 1st Place – Gymnast
- Individual 2nd Place – St. Charles County
- Individual 3rd Place – St. Louis Viking
This year’s event was held in conjunction with Lake St. Louis PD, O’Fallon PD, Wentzville PD and St. Charles County PD. Presenting sponsors included Texas Roadhouse, Toyota Bodine, Premiere Rentals, Moneta, iHeart Media, Heartland Coke, Fox 2/KPLR 11, Boost 101.9, Knights of Columbus, MASC, Purpose Wreckers and Lake St. Louis Community Association.